Antarctica: Antarctica Christmas Cruise
An Antarctica Christmas Cruise guarantees a festive season to remember
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Unique, 21 day, expedition on board the MS Fram, visiting the Falkland Islands, South Georgia, the South Orkneys and Antarctica over the Christmas and New Year period, offering fantastic photographic opportunities
- Spend an unforgettable Christmas Day in South Georgia with an abundance of penguins, seals and seabirds and a visit to the grave of Sir Ernest Shackleton
- Ring in the New Year in stunning Antarctica and encounter amazing wildlife and ice structures
- Travel to South Orkney where you’ll find many different species of seal including the fabulous Antarctic Fur Seal
- See colonies of Rockhopper, King and Macaroni Penguins in the Falklands
- Learn from the expert, onboard expedition team who will accompany you throughout your cruise, offering a fascinating insight into your surroundings
A truly memorable festive season awaits you on this magnificent Antarctica Christmas Cruise. Sailing around the continent’s deep south on board the MS Fram, you’ll spend Christmas and New Year in the company of penguins, seals and whales.
On average the coldest, driest and windiest continent, Antarctica is like no other place on earth. Nature is king here and you’ll experience its raw power and majesty first hand. Setting sail from the world’s most southerly city, Ushuaia, you’ll first discover the windswept Falkland Islands. Here you’ll get a fascinating insight into local life, see the massive resident bird population and explore the compact capital, Stanley.
Days at sea on the MS Fram are a photographer’s delight and to accompany the live images, a series of fascinating lectures will tell you all about the places you are about to discover and the wonders you will see there.
Christmas in South Georgia is celebrated onboard with a Norwegian Christmas Evening. The island itself is a fascinating destination boasting majestic mountains, glistening glaciers and magnificent wildlife.
There’s more wildlife to enjoy on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise in the South Orkney islands. Look out for Weddell, Leopard and Crabeater seals as well as the charming Antarctic Fur Seal. Penguins are also in abundance here especially the Gentoo, Adélie and Chinstrap species.
If it’s New Year, it must be the Antarctic! This endless white wilderness is an amazing place to ring in the 1st of January! Here you’ll learn the history of the great explorers as you travel in their footsteps and see the landscapes they saw: unchanged, remote and awe-inspiring.
Journeying back to Ushuaia, you’ll travel through the Drake Passage. Taking in the final views on this 19 day extravaganza, you’ll prepare for your return flight, treasuring every memory of your Antarctica Christmas Cruise.
Want to see the Aurora Australis? Try our Antarctic Expedition cruise, travelling off peak to see the region before or after the more extreme elements, without missing out on the amazing Aurora views!
If you love the thought of a polar voyage but aren't sure if Christmas is when you want to travel, take a look at our Antarctica Holiday Ideas and see why.
Day 1 - Arrival in Buenos Aires
Fly to Buenos Aires for your Great Antarctica Christmas Cruise.
Day 2 - Buenos Aires/Ushuaia
Your Antarctica Christmas Cruise begins as you fly from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, the world’s southernmost city, to join the MS Fram and set sail for the Falkland Islands.Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 3 - At Sea
Days at sea on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise are spent taking in the magnificent views and hearing all about the amazing locations you are about to visit. Wildlife watching is also a must - look out for dolphins and albatross.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Days 4 to 5 - Falklands
This unique sub-Antarctic environment, home to over 70 species of animals and birds, is the first stop on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise. Here, sheep graze alongside immense colonies of albatross and Rockhopper, King and Macaroni Penguins. The capital, Stanley, is easy to discover on foot in a day.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Days 6 to 7 - At Sea
Today there’s time to relax, take in the views and catch up on the fascinating lecture program on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise. In preparation for your arrival at South Georgia, you’ll hear all about how South Georgia’s rich history of exploration, whaling and conflict lends a powerful backdrop to its rugged scenery and bustling wildlife.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Days 8 to 9 - South Georgia
South Georgia is world renowned for the views of the millions of penguins, seals and seabirds which have made this 3755sq km island their home. You’ll see huge Elephant Seals, abandoned whaling stations, the Grytviken Whaling Museum and the resting place of Sir Ernest Shackleton.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 10 - At Sea
As you journey on to Antarctica, look out for albatross and enjoy lectures on the history, environment and wildlife of this amazing location. The team on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise will be delighted to share their vast knowledge with you.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 11 - South Orkneys
Today on your Antarctica Christmas Cruise we arrive in the South Orkneys which lie in the Scotia Sea, 600km northeast of the Antarctic Peninsula. Discovered by American and British sealers in 1821, they have since served as a base for Scottish, French and Argentine sealing and scientific expeditions.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 12 - Approaching Antartica
A Christmas Day like no other. Today’s lectures will focus on the sheer magnificence of Antarctica and what you are about to see. The highlight of your Antarctica Christmas Cruise is almost in sight.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Days 13 to 17 - Arriving in Antarctica
Antarctica is simply stunning. Our program here depends on weather conditions but you can be sure you will see wonderful wildlife and awe-inspiring floating ice structures. The Antarctic Sound, known as Iceberg Alley, offers a look at one of the most imposing spectacle of icebergs in the world. This will be one of your most memorable breaks between Christmas and New Year.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Days 18 to 19 - Drake Passage
You will see in the New Year while voyaging from the Antarctic Peninsula to Ushuaia, at the southernmost tip of Argentina. The onboard lecture series will continue, recapping your experiences and answering any remaining questions about your discoveries on the Antarctica Christmas Cruise.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 20 - Ushuaia/Buenos Aires
After docking in Ushuaia, you will fly back to Buenos Aires, concluding your Antarctica Christmas Cruise.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 21 - Return Home
Today you fly back to the UK, full of memories of your amazing Antarctica Christmas Cruise.Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London (details of regional departures on request)
- Domestic flights between Buenos Aires and Ushuaia
- Escorted airport transfers
- Two nights' (pre and post voyage) accommodation in a local standard hotel in Buenos Aires
- 19 days' voyage with accommodation in an I grade cabin (upgrade details on request)
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Landings with PolarCirkel boats
- Christmas program
- Orientation tour Ushuaia
- On-board lecture program with English speaking Expedition team
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Services of a professional expedition team
- Free tea & coffee
- Optional excursions (these can be arranged for you at a supplement)
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Prices are per person, based on two adults sharing an inside cabin
- Prices quoted include departures from London Heathorw
- Other departure airports may be available and a supplement may apply
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Polar Outside (Book before 30/11/2016)||£622|
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Arctic Superior (Book before 30/11/2016)||£2,199|
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Expedition Suite (Book before 30/11/2016)||£4,335|
- Prices are per person
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Polar Outside (Book before 30/11/2016)||£1,066|
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Arctic Superior (Book before 30/11/2016)||£3,764|
|14/12/2017||03/01/2018||Expedition Suite (Book before 30/11/2016)||£9,950|
- due to flight departure times, you may need to take an overnight flight to and/or from Buenos Aires
- a completed pre-departure medical questionnaire is a mandatory requirement
- itineraries may be subject to change based on local logistical and meterological considerations