Traditionally baked at Christmas but great the whole year round, these spice-rich Icelandic cookies contain ginger and cinnamon as well as some rather more unusual ingredients such as ground pepper and paprika!
500g brown sugar
5tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
0.5tsp powdered cloves
0.5 tsp ground pepper
0.25 tsp paprika
1. Mix together all of the dry ingredients
2. Add the softened butter and the beaten eggs
3. Knead the dough until smooth
4. Refrigerate the dough overnight
5. Roll the dough out and pinch off small portions to make small balls
6. Put the balls on a baking tray and flatten slightly
7. Bake at 200 degrees C until golden brown.
For an authentic taste of Icelandic cuisine, why not take a trip to this fabulous Land of Fire and Ice?