Canada: Rocky Mountaineer Western Explorer
Discover Canada by Rail on this adventure to the Rocky Mountains
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- All the must see sights of the Canadian Rockies on this 8 day tour on the Rocky Mountaineer
- Iconic rail journey through the Canadian Rockies between Vancouver and Jasper
- Explore the Jasper National Park, Lake Louise, the Columbia Icefield and the glacier skyway, positioned 280m off the ground
- Tour Banff, sightseeing by Gondola and Helicopter
- Take a sightseeing tour of Banff with a fabulous cable car ride
- Extend your stay with an Alaskan Cruise or a few extra nights in Vancouver
- Travel from Calgary to Vancouver or vice versa to suit
This is one of the most popular leisure rail tours in Canada and it is easy to see why! All of the must-see attractions of the Canadian Rockies are included in this week-long itinerary.
Day 1 - Vancouver Arrival
Depart London Heathrow on a scheduled flight to Vancouver. On arrival, transfer to your accommodation and spend time exploring this scenic city on your own. Admission to Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Centre with spectacular views of the city, mountains and ocean is included. Overnight in Vancouver.
Day 2 - Vancouver to Kamloops
Travel onboard the Rocky Mountaineer from the coastal city of Vancouver to Kamloops in the heart of British Columbia’s interior. On today’s journey you will see dramatic changes in scenery, from the lush green fields of the Fraser River Valley, through forests and winding river canyons surrounded by the peaks of the Coast and Cascade Mountains, to the desert-like environment of the interior. Highlights include the rushing waters of Hell’s Gate in the Fraser Canyon and the steep slopes and rock sheds along the Thompson River. Your day concludes as the Rocky Mountaineer travels along the shores of Kamloops Lake and into your overnight destination of Kamloops.
Day 3 - Kamloops to Jasper
Your journey continues north and east to the mighty Canadian Rockies and the province of Alberta. Once again you will be surrounded by dramatic scenery as you follow the banks of the North Thompson River through the Monashee and Cariboo Mountains, climbing ever nearer to the high peaks of the Continental Divide. Today’s highlights include Mount Robson, the highest peak in the Canadian Rockies at 3,954 metres (12,972 feet), Pyramid Falls, as well as the climb over the Yellowhead Pass into Jasper National Park. Your rail journey ends on arrival in the resort town of Jasper this evening. Overnight in Jasper.
Day 4 - Jasper Sightseeing
Jasper tour option, select one of the following Jasper tours to be included during your stay: Maligne Valley Tour, Wildlife Safari, Athabasca River Float Trip, “Mile 5” Rafting Trip or a one-hour horseback ride. All tours include pick-up and drop-off at your hotel. Overnight in Jasper.
Day 5 - Icefields Parkway Tour from Jasper to Lake Louise
Transfer to Lake Louise via one of the most scenic highways in the world, the Icefields Parkway. A stop will be made at Athabasca Falls before arriving at the Columbia Icefield. It is here that you will ride on an Ice Explorer to the middle of Athabasca Glacier to learn more about its geological features. Your driver/guide will explain how glaciers are formed and point out some interesting geological features. Time will be available for lunch (not included). Afterwards, a brief stop will be made at Bow Lake before arriving in Lake Louise this afternoon. Overnight at The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.
Day 6 - Yoho Tour, Lake Louise to Banff
A half-day tour takes you into Yoho National Park to view some of its natural wonders. Among the attractions are the Spiral Tunnels, Emerald Lake and a natural rock bridge that spans the Kicking Horse River. At the end of the tour you will be transferred to Banff. Overnight in Banff. Please note: While departure from The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise will be approximately 1:30 PM, scheduled check-- out time is normally 11:00 AM. Your luggage will be stored on check-out and you are free to enjoy the amenities of the hotel or a guided one-hour lakeshore stroll before the tour departs.
Day 7 - Summit Helicopter Tour
Today you will enjoy a full-day tour concluding in Calgary. Begin the morning with a sightseeing tour of Banff. Among the points of interest are Bow Falls, Lake Minnewanka, Surprise Corner and the Hoodoos. Continue on to Kananaskis for the highlight of today’s adventure, a Summit Helicopter Tour over the remarkable landscape of the Rockies. Enjoy lunch at a local ranch and spend time exploring Kananaskis at your leisure before your afternoon transfer to Calgary. Overnight in Calgary.
**Please note that a price reduction of $119 will apply for the summit helicopter tour in the event of inclement weather or if a guest chooses not to fly**
Day 8 - Calgary Departure
Your tour ends with check-out from your Calgary hotel and transfer to Calgary Airport for your return flight to London Heathrow.
Day 9 - Arrive London Heathrow
Arrive London Heathrow
- Scheduled flights from London Heathrow to Vancouver and Calgary to Heathrow
- 2 day Rocky Mountaineer Silver Leaf Service, comprising:
- Assigned seating in reclining seats
- Extended legroom
- Large picture window
- Meal service at your seat
- Forward-facing seats that rotate to accommodate groups of four
- Restroom facilities in each coach
- Temperature-controlled comfort
- 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches
- 7 nights accommodation
- Exclusive Attractions Pass and National Parks Pass
- Yoho Park Tour, including transfer to Banff
- Banff to Calgary Tour, including Banff Gondola.
- Summit Helicopter Flightseeing
- Luggage handling
- Icefields Parkway Tour, including Ice Explorer, Jasper to Lake Louise.
- Guided Lakeshore Stroll at Chateau Lake Louise
- Transfers from Vancouver Airport on arrival and to Calgary Airport on departure
- Meals other than onboard the Rocky Mountaineer
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
Please call our friendly advisors on 0333 800 2033 for pricing on this holiday.
Mighty Fine Ideas:
- Upgrade to GoldLeaf Service - see price grid.
GoldLeaf Service includes:
- Custom-designed bi-level dome coach
- Panoramic views from full-length dome windows
- Assigned seating in reclining dome-level seats that rotate to accommodate groups of four
- Full galley kitchen
- 36 dining room seats (4 per table) with picture windows
- Temperature-controlled comfort
- Spiral staircase and elevator to dome level
- Upgrade to Superior Accommodation - see price grid.
- Upgrade to GoldLeaf Service and Deluxe Accommodation - see price grid.