Finland: Northern Lights Break at Menesjarvi
Choose a Northern Lights Break and enjoy ample opportunity for an Arctic Aurora sighting
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Fabulously compact Northern Lights mini break – ideal for a half term getaway
- Discover the secrets of Aurora photography with a Northern Lights workshop
- Experience a Northern Lights snowmobile safari
- Enjoy free use of snow fun equipment
- Add signature Lappish experiences including reindeer sleigh rides and dog sledding
If you are looking for a short getaway featuring the chance of a lifetime to see the incredible Aurora Borealis, this Northern Lights Break in Finnish Lapland is ideal. Staying at the charming Hotel Korpikartano on the shores of Lake Menesjärvi, you will stay in the Arctic Circle, beneath the auroral belt, where most sightings of the Aurora occur.
The Northern Lights appear sporadically in the skies above northern Finland during the winter time, usually between the months of September and March. On this Northern Lights Break, you will be travelling in December, in the midst of the auroral activity window. Your holiday features an Aurora workshop, with guidance on photographing the Northern Lights, and no sooner have you perfected your skills than there's the chance to set our on inclusive snowmobile and snowshoe Aurora safaris.
During the daytime on your Northern Lights Break, there will be opportunities to experience typical life in the Arctic. Find out about the native Sámi people at the Sámi Museum, discover how they are reliant on their reindeer herds for food, clothing and transport and learn how to mush your own pack of huskies on a dog sledding safari across the snow-covered wilderness. All excursions are optional and, if you prefer, you can simply borrow equipment from the Hotel Korpikartano and make your own fun. Perhaps go cross country skiing along scenic trails, try out some traditional snowshoeing or having a go at ice fishing on the frozen lake.
With so much to experience on this Northern Lights Break, even if you do not get to see the Aurora Borealis, you are guaranteed to have an unforgettable time in Lapland.
Fancy a longer trip? Take the Arctic Wilderness Holiday at Lake Menesjarvi for an eight day wilderness activity holiday in a beautifully untamed setting.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Finnish holiday ideas to find your perfect tour in Finland, or take a look at our Northern Lights holiday ideas to see our top Aurora breaks. If you need any further assistance, just call our helpful travel team on 0845 072 0090.
Day 1 - Arrival
Fly to Ivalo Airport and take the one-hour transfer to the Hotel Korpikartano. On arrival, your guide will tell you all about the surrounding area and the outdoor activities on offer here. Afterwards, celebrate the beginning of your Northern Lights Break with a delicious dinner and then keep an eye on the skies in the hope of catching a glimpse of the legendary Aurora.Meals included:Dinner
Day 2 - Aurora Workshop and Snowshoe Expedition with Free Time for Optional Activities
Today there is an optional excursion by snowmobile to a local reindeer farm, where you can discover what a typical day is like for a reindeer herder in the Arctic. Find out more about the reindeer and why they are so important to the lives of the native Sámi people. There is also an optional cross country skiing expedition on the Northern Lights Break today, which you can choose as an alternative to the reindeer farm visit.
Later, you are invited to attend an Aurora workshop, where you can learn about photographing the Northern Lights, and you can even go out snowshoe hiking this evening to see if you can spot the elusive phenomena.Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 3 - Northern Lights Snowmobile Safari and Free Time for Optional Activities
You have the opportunity to visit a husky farm this morning on your Northern Lights Break. Pet these adorable dogs and then help to harness them, ready for your exciting sled ride across the snowy plains surrounding the farm. There is also an optional visit to the Sámi Museum and the Northern Lapland Nature Centre in the nearby village of Inari. On your return to the hotel, we head out into the wilderness by snowmobile to search for the Northern Lights.Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 4 - Departure
With fond memories of your Northern Lights Break, return to Ivalo Airport and board your flight home. Were you lucky enough to witness the Aurora for yourself? What was your favourite activities here. This delightful short break is sure to have left you longing for more!Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London Heathrow (details of regional departures on request)
- Escorted airport transfers
- Three nights' accommodation in a standard room at the Hotel Korpikartano
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Northern Lights snowmobile and snowshoe safaris
- Aurora workshop
- Visit to Siida Sámi Museum and Northern Lapland Nature Centre
- Visit to a husky farm and husky safari
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Prices are per person, based on two adults sharing
- Child prices quoted are based on one child sharing with two adults
- Child prices quoted are for children between 7 and 11 years of age