If you're considering an Iceland self drive holiday, take a look at our advice and choose your tour from our great range. If you're still not 100% on what type of break is right for you, just check out our Iceland Holiday Ideas or speak to one of our advisers on 0333 800 2033.
Because of its vast, dramatic landscapes and unique beauty, Iceland is a popular country for self drive holidays. Although most holidays here are free from trouble, there are still some important pieces of information you will find useful:
- Plan your driving route before you travel. We have a wide range of itineraries and detailed routes for you to choose from.
- Make sure you take out adequate travel and medical insurance prior to departure.
- Iceland’s Search and Rescue organisation provides advice for anyone visiting Iceland. Go to the website at www.safetravel.is
- Ideally, hire a 4x4 vehicle when either planning an Iceland self drive in winter or if you want to venture out to more remote areas in summer, as many of the roads are loose or gravelly. Ensure the vehicle has fully comprehensive insurance cover.
- Remember to take your driving licence with you. You do not need an international driving permit.
- Adhere to the speed limits. Fines for speeding in Iceland are high.
- Contact the Icelandic Road Administration for information regarding the closure of roads, and for an up-to-date weather forecast.