Iceland: The Viking Challenge Family Experience
The ultimate Iceland Family Activity Holiday, sample the most thrilling Icelandic pursuits
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Great, eight day family summer holiday for those with children aged ten and over, visiting hot springs and the Blue Lagoon and enjoying horse riding, whale watching, visiting geological wonders and hiking
- Search for Orcas and Minke Whales on a special sea safari and appreciate the power of nature as you visit Iceland’s famous hot springs
- Meet Iceland's unique breed of horse
- Amaze your family with visits to Iceland's geological wonders, including geysers, ice caves and glaciers
- Experience the world famous Blue Lagoon - an azure, geo-thermal spa set in a lava field
- Tour cosmopolitan Reykjavik and enjoy free time for independent exploration
Discover the “Land of Ice and Fire” on an adventure-filled break that combines a host of fabulous activities with the inspirational natural wonders of Iceland.
This Iceland Family Activity Holiday is based in both the vibrant capital of Reykjavik and Iceland's incredible countryside. It is ideal for families with children aged ten and over but it can be tailored, on request, for families of all ages. The wide range of activities featured on this break includes whale watching, a trip to the Blue Lagoon and an exhilarating glacier hike.
Take a look at the itinerary below to discover more about The Viking Challenge and, indeed, the highlights of this awe-inspiring country.
Travelling with children aged 14 and over? Take a look at our Activity and Adventure Holidays Viking Challenge.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Icelandic Holiday Ideas or our Family Holiday ideas and see if you can find your perfect getaway. Alternatively, speak to our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033 or using our online chat system (during office hours)..
Day 1 - Arrive in Iceland
After your flight, travel to your hotel in Reykjavik and check-in to your family room for the start of The Iceland Family Activity Holiday. We offer a selection of 3 and 4 star hotels on your Iceland Family Activity Holiday, each with a range of amenities. You will stay at your hotel in Reykjavik for the first two nights of your holiday, meaning that you have the perfect opportunity to explore the worlds most northerly capital city! After you have unpacked, enjoy some rest before the start of your activities tomorrow or alternatively take advantage of your great city centre location and get out to explore Iceland's vibrant capital city, Reykjavik!
Day 2 - Whale Watching and Visiting the Blue Lagoon
Day two of the Iceland Family Activity Holiday is the highlight of the break for many of our guests. After a boat safari in search of whales and birdlife, you will visit the renowned Blue Lagoon, the waters of which are believed to have healing powers.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 3 - Head out to the South Iceland Countryside
Pick up your hire car before heading out of Reykjavik to Hveragerði on your Iceland Family Activity Holiday today. Just half an hour's drive from Reykjavik, this area is know as the 'flower and greenhouse village of South Iceland', meaning guests are assured of stunning natural views! Explore the area your way to your hotel taking in some of the region's incredible attractions including its variety of hot springs. When you arrive, settle in to your hotel, your base for the next five nights. Your location, in the middle of South Icelands countryside, is the perfect base for exploring the Iceland's geological wonders and taking part in your activities over the following days.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 4 - Continue your Viking Challenge
Today, on your Iceland Family Activity Holiday, you have the chance to explore South Iceland's Golden Circle. While touring the Golden Circle you have the chance to meet Icelandic horses at a local horse riding centre before heading out for a half hour horse ride through the lava fields near Reykjavik. The rest of the afternoon is free, giving you the perfect opportunity to explore the Viking Village, the home of the Icelandic president and more!Meals included:Breakfast
Day 5 - Jokulsarlon and Ice Cave Exploration
Get ready for a day exploring the Glacier Lagoon of Jokulsarlon on the Iceland Family Activity Holiday. During your visit to Jokulsarlon you will take part in a tour visiting an Ice Cave. These incredible glacial features are carved out of the Ice by the meltwater from the Glacier. In the evening return to your hotel.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 6 - A Glacier Hike on the Ice
Today you are visiting Europe's largest glacier and one of Icelands most famous national parks, Vatnajokull. While visiting this enormous glacier you will get the chance to meet local guides who will take you for a walk on the glacier. This other worldly experience will give you and your family a memorable experience of your time in Iceland.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 7 - Leisure Day
Today you have ample opportunity to explore South Iceland, enjoying the many attractions of this region. Visit some of the many museums and discover a range of cultural and historical highlights or explore Eyjafjallajökull, the volcano which stopped European air traffic, and it's visitor centre or head upto the geo-thermal Fontana pools.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 8 - Departure
Today your Iceland Family Activity Holiday comes to an end and you check out of your hotel and head to the airport for your flight home. Don't forget that you will be leaving having completed the Viking Challenge and the many varied experiences and challenges it includes.Meals included:Breakfast
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Whale watching safari
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon
- Icelandic horse riding experience
- Exploration of a glacier ice cave
- Glacier hike
- Unescorted airport transfers
- Two nights' superior accommodation in a centrally located hotel
- Return international flights from London Gatwick (regional departures on request)
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Five nights' accommodation in a countryside hotel in South Iceland
- Five Days car hire of a VW Golf or similar
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Prices are per person, based on two adults sharing
- Prices are based on London airport departures
- Other departures may be available and a supplement may apply
- Child prices quoted are based on one child sharing with two adults
- Child prices quoted are for children between 10 to 11 years of age