Iceland: Best of South Iceland Holiday
Set out on our South Iceland Guided Tour and explore the country's volcanic landscapes
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Eight day, escorted summer tour of Southern Iceland, exploring the foremost natural attractions of The Golden Circle and experiencing the world famous Blue Lagoon - an azure, geo-thermal spa set in a lava field
- Enjoy sightseeing tours of the beautiful Westman islands and cosmopolitan Reykjavik
- Book optional glacier walking and Vatnajokull National Park tours
- Add extra nights to your break to discover more of the world’s northernmost capital
Iceland is a country that everyone must visit at least once in their lifetime and what better way to see the best of this fabulous island than on this comprehensive South Iceland Guided Tour suitable for a wide range of customers?
Completely isolated, in the middle of the North Atlantic, Iceland was born out of volcanic activity which is what gives the island its unique appeal. The geological formations here are infinitely interesting and the way that glaciers have shaped the landscapes makes the country truly distinctive.
On this South Iceland Guided Tour you will get the opportunity to travel by coach around the country’s most notable sites, as well as some that are less frequented but equally enthralling. With plenty of free time during the tour, you can tailor-make your trip to suit your own requirements by joining some of the optional excursions. You also have the freedom to choose your own accommodation. The prices quoted on this tour are based on standard hotel options, please speak to our travel advisers for details of upgrades. All breakfasts are included in the price of the tour and, for evening meals, you are free to sample the local Icelandic cuisine in each place you stay. Independence is the key element on this South Iceland Guided Tour, allowing you to enjoy your holiday, your own way.
Got a couple of weeks to spare? Take a look at our Best of Iceland break which combines the north and south itineraries.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Icelandic Holiday Ideas or call our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033 to find your perfect break in Iceland.
Day 1 - Arrive in Iceland
From the airport, we transfer you to a hotel in Reykjavík for a relaxing first night of your Best of South Iceland holiday. If time permits, why not explore this vibrant city and drink in your first taste of stunning Iceland?
Day 2 - Mighty Hekla
This morning, your South Iceland Guided Tour takes you past the country’s most active volcano, Hekla. Later, visit the impressive Hjálparfoss Waterfall and then continue to the old Viking ruins at Stöng where you can learn about Iceland’s historically notorious inhabitants.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 3 - Glaciers and Volcanic Landscapes
This morning we embark on our South Iceland adventure. We take in the glorious scenes of lava formations, glaciated valleys, gushing waterfalls and noisy bird cliffs along the south coast. There is also an exciting opportunity to go glacier walking, which is led by experienced guides. Alternatively, visit the beautiful Skógar area and see the enormous Skógafoss Waterfall on this South Iceland Guided Tour.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 4 - At Leisure
Enjoy a refreshing ferry ride to the picturesque Westman Islands this morning, which are one of the country’s best kept secrets. Explore the harbour town of Heimaey on a guided sightseeing tour before choosing one of the delightful cafés for lunch. In the afternoon, on this South Iceland Guided Tour, you can take a walk around the island and enjoy the fresh coastal air.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 5 - At Leisure
Today on the Best of South Iceland holiday you can spend your time as you wish. Perhaps take a wander around the town of Hella or join the highly recommended optional tour to the beautiful Vatnajökull National Park to see the largest glacier in Europe. Vatnajökull, (Glacier of Rivers) is the largest Icelandic glacier and the greatest in terms of volume. Indeed, this amazing formation covers a stunning eight percent of the entire country. It drains into a breathtaking, blue, glacial lagoon which is usually peppered with icebergs. Don't forget to bring your camera on this South Iceland Guided Tour for the chance to capture some simply sensational images to take back home.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 6 - Iceland’s Golden Circle
The Best of South Iceland holiday would not be complete without a trip to see some of the country’s most famous attractions in the Golden Circle. See the amazing Gullfoss Waterfall and the legendary Geysir Hot Springs with vents that eject boiling water up to 70 metres into the air. Afterwards, on this South Iceland Guided Tour, we continue to Þingvellir National Park where you can enjoy the striking scenery and learn about its historical significance. This hotspot of geological attractions boasts some of the world's most unique formations, including the meeting point between the Eurasain and North American tectonic plates. At this fascinating site it's possible for you to cross from Europe to America in just a single step! This centre of tectonic shift is home to some of the most intriguing and magnificent natural sights it's possible to discover in Iceland and a tour of the region is an experience not to be missed.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 7 - Blue Lagoon
The final full day of the Best of South Iceland holiday gives you the option to experience a dip in the famous Blue Lagoon, whose waters are geothermally heated and rich in minerals. You can also visit more hot springs and fascinating bird cliffs on the Reykjanes Peninsula, before ending the day with a guided sightseeing tour of Reykjavík.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 8 - Depart Reykjavík
The South Iceland Guided Tour concludes in Reykjavík this morning. Transfer to the airport for your return flight to the UK. If you can't bear to leave this amazing location behind yet why not book an additional night or two so that you can enjoy Reykjavik's famous nightlife, shop in the sensational streets of Laugavegur or perhaps take a whale watching excursion?Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London Gatwick (details of regional departures on request)
- Services of a professional guide
- Seven nights' accommodation in a local standard hotel (upgrade details on request)
- Unescorted airport transfers
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- South shore tour
- Þjórsárdalur exploration
- Visit to Westman Islands
- Golden Circle tour
- Tour of Reykanes and Reykjavik
- Visit to the Blue Lagoon
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Nature Fees, many of Iceland's natural attractions are free at the time of writing and so entrance fees are not included in the price of the tour. It is possible that prior to departure that the people responsible for the natural attraction may levy an entrance fee which will need to be paid by tour members on the spot.
- Optional tours, like the tour of the Vatnajokull National Park on Day 5, which can be booked in advance.
- The following optional trips which cannot be pre-booked: Local Museums (between £5 and £10 per person entrance fee), Glacier hike during the South Shore tour (about £100 per person), Boat trip on the Glacier Lagoon (about £30 per person), Blue Lagoon entrance & towel (about £50)
Please call our friendly advisors on 0333 800 2033 for pricing on this holiday.