Norway: Big Five Hiking Holiday in Norway
Opt for our Norway Hiking Holiday and reach the dizzy heights on foot
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- An eight day, self drive, hiking holiday covering some of Norway’s foremost geological attractions
- Conquer Pulpit Rock, Kjerag Rock, Folgefona glacier, Trolltunga cliff and Langfoss waterfall
- Follow Ryfylke (the National Tourist route) from Stavangar and see cultural landscapes replaced by mountains, rockslides, cliffs and fjords
- Enjoy great hikes and magnificent views of hanging rocks, outcrops, waterfalls and glaciers
Explore extraordinary landmarks on this challenging yet unforgettable Norway Hiking Holiday. With the freedom of a hire car, discover some of the world’s most incomparable views on a round trip from Stavanger. You will have the opportunity to scale our big five of Fjord Norway: Pulpit Rock, Kjerag Rock, Folgefonna Glacier, the Troll’s Tongue and Langfoss Waterfall.
Tackling these peaks on foot is certainly no mean feat, however, the spectacular scenery you will witness during this Norway Hiking Holiday makes every moment worthwhile. The exhilaration that you feel when looking out across the vast snow-capped peaks and the gushing rivers below is unparalleled. As you climb these natural geological wonders you will come across native wildlife, and discover the magnificent topography of Norway on this self-guided adventure.
Would you prefer a self drive holiday with less challenging walks? The eight day Magnificent Norway Fjords Holiday and Mountains Retreat, gives you the chance to explore Norway’s beautiful fjords and mountains.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Norwegian holiday ideas or our Family Holiday ideas to find your perfect getaway. Alternatively, speak to our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033 or using our online chat system (during office hours).
Day 1 - Begin Your Norway Hiking Holiday
On arrival in Stavanger, collect your hire car and check in at the airport hotel, where you will enjoy dinner and spend the first night of your Norway Hiking Holiday.Meals included:Dinner
Day 2 - Stavanger to Pulpit Rock
Today, on your Norway Hiking holiday, you will drive to Jørpeland, where one of the country’s most impressive geological structures - Pulpit Rock - can be found . Towering 604 metres above sea level, this jagged plateau affords magnificent vistas of fjords and mountains.
(Hike approximately 4-6 hours. Drive approximately 160km)Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 3 - Onwards to Kjerag Rock
Your Norway Hiking Holiday continues as you head for the quaint village of Lysebotn, the final port of call for the ferry journey along the Lysefjord and widely regarded as one of the most beautiful places in Norway. Nearby, you will discover the towering Kjerag Rock, an extraordinary natural formation which is a common haunt for base jumpers. At the summit, you can walk onto the Kjerag boulder, which is wedged between two rocks, and take in the stunning views. Today’s route begins at the Øygrdstølen restaurant.
(Hike approximately 5-8 hours. Drive approximately 65km)Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 4 - Travelling North to Hardangerfjord
Travel northwards along Ryfylke - the National Tourist Route, perhaps calling at a few sights along the way. The Stave Church at Røldal is well worth a visit and its setting is beautiful! And if you don't want to miss a day of walking, why not take a hike at the Gloppefoss waterfall? Continue to your hotel, where you will stay for the next three nights of your Norway Hiking Holiday.
(Drive approximately 272km)Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 5 - Folgefonna Glacier
Today on your Norway Hiking Holiday you will visit the country’s third largest glacier – Folgefonna. There will be someone to meet you at the site and give you safety instructions before you scale this enormous, icy structure. You will be escorted, throughout your glacier hike, along the best possible route. Climb to the blue ice and, from the apex of Folgefonna, take in the immense views over Hardangerfjord.
This hike can be adapted to suit your skill level; beginners can opt for easier paths and still enjoy the same invigorating journey, while the more experienced amongst you will discover the ultimate challenge on the harder trails!
(Hike approximately 4-6 hours. Drive approximately 180km)
Please note: this excursion operates daily between the 14th June and the 20th August. It is, however, still available outside these dates.Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 6 - Trolltunga (The Troll’s Tongue)
Get an early start from the hotel and drive to Skjeggedal. You will find a signposted route that runs parallel to the Mágelibanen funicular railway. At the summit of the Troll’s Tongue, you will be greeted with some of the most breathtaking scenes on your Norway Hiking Holiday. Have your camera at the ready!
(Hike approximately 8-10 hours. Drive approximately 65km)Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 7 - Langfoss Waterfall
Langfoss has often been considered one of the world’s most stunning waterfalls, and its combined width and height make it a massively impressive sight. Make the most of your time here as this is the last major hike on your Norway Hiking Holiday.
(Hike approximately 2 hours. Drive approximately 240km)Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Day 8 - Return to the UK
There will be time for you to enjoy a leisurely breakfast this morning before your Norway Hiking Holiday concludes. Return your hire car in time for your flight to the UK. As well as stunning memories, you're sure to be taking home some simply wonderful photographs. Which was your favourite peak? Which hike did you enjoy most? You'll no doubt already be planning your next trip to magical Norway!Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London Heathrow (details of regional departures on request)
- Eight days' car hire based on a VW Golf (upgrade details on request)
- Seven nights' accommodation in local standard hotels
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Guided glacier walk
- Pulpit Rock hike
- Kjerag Rock hike
- Trolltunga hike
- Langfoss Waterfall hike
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Prices are per person, based on two adults sharing
- Flights are based on departures from London airports
- Other departure airports may be available and a supplement may apply
- the order of the itinerary is subject to change, depending on hotel availability
- certain routes involve tolls or ferry journeys, payable locally (not included in the tour price)
- anyone considering this Norway Hiking Holiday must be good physical condition
- strong, comfortable footwear is required for this holiday
- please adhere to the Norwegian Mountain Safety Code - contact our team for further details.