Norway: North Norway Aurora Adventure
Choose from our Wildlife and Culture Holidays and become one of the locals
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Thrilling, full board, five day, wildlife and cultural tour of Senja, in a small group, searching for the remarkable wildlife that resides here, be it spectacular whales or fascinating land-based, Arctic animals
- Head out on a Whale watching excursion, looking for Orca and Humpback Whales or a wildlife safari in search of seal colonies, Sea Eagles, moose and reindeer
- Spend your evenings hunting for the extraordinary Northern Lights by car or on foot
- Learn from the expert guides as they give you lectures on the local wildlife, Northern Lights and the history of the area
- Lodge in a cosy, expedition lodge located on the shoreline, near the astounding Gryllefjord
- Get a taste of Norwegian cuisine with delicious home cooking
- Looking for a short wildlife watching break in Norway, with the added bonus of a fascinating cultural insight?
- Look no further than this fabulously intimate trip to the wonderful island of Senja.
Looking for a short wildlife watching break in Norway, with the added bonus of a fascinating cultural insight? Look no further than this fabulously intimate trip to the wonderful island of Senja.
This exciting Wildlife and Culture Holiday allows you to witness striking Arctic animals in their natural habitat. Depending on the weather, you will head out on a whale watching excursion or wildlife safari. If you venture out in search of whales, you’ll sail on a purpose-built boat and scour the ocean for stunning Orca and Humpback Whales. Your hosts and expert guides, Trude and Dag, will be on hand to inform you about these remarkable creatures and offer handy hints on how best to capture your own, incredible images. Alternatively, you may embark on a thrilling wildlife safari either by car or on foot. You’ll explore the area for seal colonies, Sea Eagles, moose and reindeer, again guided and assisted by Trude and Dag.
Your friendly hosts are from the Troms region and have been involved in Arctic tourism for over 13 years. They have carefully planned this trip to ensure you experience some of Norway’s most spectacular and ever-changing scenery. Indeed, your visual feast begins as soon as you arrive on Senja, taking in views of deep fjords, glistening beaches, precipitous mountainsides and charming fishing hamlets en route to your charming holiday base.
You’ll enjoy a real taste of Norwegian culture when you stay at the Expedition Lodge (a renovated post office) on the western shoreline. Not only will you have spectacular views of the nearby fjord, you’ll also be treated to a taste of authentic cuisine as your hosts present you with a mouth-watering selection of local specialities.
Evenings on your Wildlife and Culture Holiday are all about the Northern Lights. Set out on a walking or driving excursion, depending on the weather, with Trude and Dag taking you to the best places to see nature’s captivating displays. They will do their utmost to ensure you get to see - and photograph - this magnificent natural phenomenon.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Norwegian holiday ideas or call our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033 to find your perfect tour.
Day 1 - Arrive in Tromso
Fly to Tromso where you will be transfer to the quayside Clarion Collection Hotel With. Depending on your time of arrival, why not take a walk and explore your surroundings? The Polar Museum and the Arctic Cathedral are just a short stroll away. When you return to your hotel, rest well for your Wildlife and Culture Holiday, which begins tomorrow.Meals included:Dinner
Days 2 to 4 - Tromso – Senja
Head to the harbour on Day 2, where you will catch an express boat to Finnsnes. On arrival, you will be met by your friendly, expert guides, Trude and Dag, who will transfer you to your lodge. Settle into your accommodation, a cosy, renovated post office on the western shoreline, before embarking on the first adventure of your Wildlife and Culture Holiday.
As your guides want you to have the best experience possible, they will tailor your activities around the weather and any personal preferences you have. From December to February, the typical daytime activity is whale watching. Trude and Dag take you out in a purpose-made boat as you search for amazing Orca and Humpback Whales in the remarkable Bergsfjorden. From October to November and February to March, you will be able to engage in exciting wilderness safaris, either by car or on foot, as you search for seal colonies, Sea Eagles, Moose and Reindeer. During the evenings you’ll head out on hunts for the Northern Lights. Your guides will take you to the best spotting sites before telling you some of the facts behind the breathtaking phenomenon.
When you arrive back at the lodge, your knowledgeable guides will give you lectures on whales, the Northern Lights, the Arctic cod and the Viking history of Senja. You’ll also get a taste of Norwegian cuisine as you tuck into a tasty home cooked meal.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 - Return to Tromso for Departure
After breakfast, travel back to Tromso where you’ll board your flight home. Travelling by Hurtigruten you will have the opportunity to see the Norwegian Coastline on one of these iconic vessels. Reflect on your memories of this whistle-stop Wildlife and Culture Holiday as you fly back to the UK, hopefully planning your next Norwegian adventure.Meals included:Breakfast
Return international flights from London Gatwick (details of regional departures on request)
- One night's accommodation at the Clarion Collection Hotel With
- Two nights' accommodation at the Expedition Lodge in Senja
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Whale watching or wilderness safari (depending on time of year)
- Evening Northern Lights hunts
- Expert-led lectures on whales, the Northern Lights, the Arctic Cod and the Viking history of Senja
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Services of professional guides
- Unescorted airport transfers
- Express boat transfers to Senja
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
Please call our friendly advisors on 0333 800 2033 for pricing on this holiday.