South Africa: Best of South Africa Safari
Opt for our South Africa Safari and broaden your horizons
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- Fabulous 20 day South African adventure featuring game drives in the Kruger National Park, treks in the Drakensberg Mountains and a journey along the garden route to Cape Town
- Visit Blyde River Canyon - the third largest in the world
- Search for the big five in the Kruger National Park and Hluluwe National Park
- Visit Zululand and get up close to hippos and crocodiles
- See the world's second highest waterfall, Tugela Falls
- Feast your eyes on the Addo Elephants in the Addo Elephant Park
- Wonder at the stalagmites and stalactites of the famous Cango Caves
- Head to Stellenbosch for a wine tasting experience
South Africa is one of the most beautifully diverse countries on the African continent in terms of scenery, wildlife and culture. The country has so much to offer the inquisitive traveller and our Best of South Africa Safari aims to show you as many breathtaking sights and expose you to as many unique experiences as we can fit into a three week tour.
On this South Africa safari holiday you can look forward to close encounters with some of the country’s most iconic game, including the celebrated ‘Big Five’. From the lions and leopards of Kruger National Park, to the hippos and crocodiles of Swaziland and the endangered black rhinos of Hluhluwe Umfolozi Game Reserve in Zululand, you will have plenty of opportunities to see incredible wildlife.
Other highlights of our South Africa safari include traditional Bosotho style pony trekking in the Kingdom of Lesotho, an elephant safari at the Addo Elephant Park, exploring the Cango Caves, wine tasting in Stellenbosch, sightseeing in Cape Town and the chance to travel along the famous Garden Route. Leisure time is also built into the tour so you can explore these fantastic areas at your own pace.
Want to visit the famous national parks of Botswana as part of an escorted tour? Check out the Botswana Lodge Safari.
If you're wondering what there is to experience in this fascinating destination, just take a look at our African Holidays Ideas or South African Holiday Ideas and get a little guidance for your adventure. If you're looking for a wildlife-focussed break, take a peek at our African Safari Holiday Ideas or Wildlife Watching Holiday Ideas. Alternatively, call our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033.
Day 1 - Arrive in Johannesburg
Fly to Johannesberg where you will be greeted and transferred to your hotel. This evening you will meet your guide and the rest of your group for a welcome meeting. Your South Africa safari begins tomorrow.
Day 2 - Johannesburg
Journey from Johannesburg to the beautiful Mpumalanga area. As we drive, admire the picturesque scenery of lush mountains and river valleys, and you might even spot some native wildlife too. Arriving in the small forestry town of Graskop, check into your hotel for the night.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 3 to 4 - Panorama Route to Kruger
Over the next two days you will experience one of the most scenic journeys of your South Africa safari as we drive along the Panorama Route. The road takes us past Blyde River Canyon, the third largest canyon on earth and Bourke’s Luck Potholes where we stop to investigate these peculiar rock formations. You'll also enjoy exciting game drives around the Kruger National Park during which you might see Africa’s ‘Big Five’ (lion, elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard and black rhinoceros) as well as fabulous birdlife and reptiles. In the evenings, settle into your accommodation and watch the sun set over the landscape.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 5 to 6 - The Kingdom of Swaziland
Continuing our South Africa safari tour across the border into Swaziland, you will have the opportunity to delve into the traditional lifestyle and culture of the Swazis. Admire the mountainous scenery as we make our way to the Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, a protected reserve in the Valley of Heaven. Search for giraffes, zebras, crocodiles, hippos and other wildlife as you embark on a fascinating guided walk. Later, visit the Umphakatsi Chief's homestead where you can try your hand at maize grinding or mountain grass plaiting. There's also the opportunity to join the children as they dance and sing along to Swazi music before you taste the local cuisine.
Please note: Lunch will be provided on day six.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 7 to 8 - Zululand
This morning we begin our journey back into South Africa, stopping at a local craft market where you can buy souvenirs. The South Africa safari continues to iSimangaliso Wetland Park, South Africa's first World Heritage Site. Here, you'll embark on a relaxing boat cruise on the St Lucia estuary where you'll spot plenty of hippos and crocodiles. The next day we explore one of Africa’s oldest reserves: Hluhluwe Umfolozi. The reserve is well known for its populations of white rhino and the endangered black rhino, hopefully you will see both today on your South Africa safari.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 9 to 10 - Drakensberg Mountains
Our journey takes us further inland to the uKhahlamna Drakensberg Park where we'll spend the next two nights. The highlights of the park are Drakensberg Amphitheatre, a 1200m high rock wall, Mont-Aux-Sources peak - the source of the Orange and Tugela rivers - and the second highest waterfall in the world, Tugela Falls (947m). We will explore this fascinating area on scenic walks.
Please note: Lunch will be provided on day 10.Meals included:Breakfast, Dinner
Days 11 to 12 - Kingdom of Lesotho
Crossing into the country of Lesotho, absorb the rugged natural beauty of the countryside as we drive to Malealea Lodge in a remote part of the country. Settle into your accommodation and relax in one of the most peaceful places you will visit on your South Africa safari package. We will spend two days here experiencing the traditional Basotho lifestyle, the highlight of which is an exhilarting pony trek.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 13 - Cradock
Travelling back into South Africa, our journey takes us to the agricultural town of Cradock which is well known for its hot sulphur springs. The town has some fabulous architecture, most notably ‘Die Tuishuise’ which is the collective name for the row of restored Victorian craftsmen’s houses that line Market Street.Meals included:Breakfast
Day 14 - Addo Elephant National Park
Today we will take an exciting game drive around this exciting elephant park. Founded in 1931 to protect the last remaining 11 elephants in the area, the reserve has been a fantastic success and there are now over 450 elephants living wild in the park. On our game drive we might also see the rare black rhino as well as lions, buffalo and leopard. Spend the evening at the Addo Rest Camp where you can watch for more wildlife coming to drink at the adjacent floodlit waterhole.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 15 to 16 - Tsitsikamma
Our South Africa safari continues along the famous coastal road known as the Garden Route. We will then arrive at the Storms River Village, in the centre of the Tsitsikamma Forest, where we will spend the next two nights. Explore the beautiful scenery on a coastal walk and, if you're feeling brave, have a go at the world’s highest bungee jump at Bloukrans River (additional cost).Meals included:Breakfast
Day 17 - Karoo
This morning we stop at Knysna, one of the Garden Route’s most popular destinations, and visit 'The Heads' before taking in the beautiful sight of the natural lagoon. Afterwards, the South Africa safari continues through the Outeniqua Mountains to the legendary Cango Caves where you will descend into a realm of stalagmites and stalactites. Keep your eyes peeled as we will spend the evening in the ostrich capital of the world.Meals included:Breakfast
Days 18 to 19 - Cape Town
As we head into Cape Town, our South Africa safari brings us to Stellenbosch, a town famous for its production of fine wine. You can take a tour of a vineyard and wine cellar where we can sample the delicious product. Once we arrive in the 'Mother City', embark on a fascinating Cape Point tour, showing you many of this exciting city's highlights. There is ample time to explore this great city, why not spend some time enjoying fabulous beaches or take an optional (chargeable) excursion to Robben Island?Meals included:Breakfast
Day 20 - Departure
Today you have the day to yourself and the chance to see some of the city’s sights. Visit museums and galleries or take a cable car ride to the top of Table Mountain which dominates the skyline (additional cost). With incredible memories of your South Africa safari, transfer to the airport for your evening flight home.Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London Heathrow
- Escorted airport transfers
- 19 nights' accommodation in mid-range, local standard lodges, chalets and tented camps
- The following activities and excursions, as per the itinerary:
- Visit to Bourke Luck Potholes
- Guided walk at Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary
- Visit to Umphakatsi Chief's homestead
- Bat cruise on St Lucia estuary
- Game drive in the Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Game Reserve
- Guided walks at The Cavern
- Pony trek and ride in Lesotho
- Game drive in the Addo Elephant National Park
- Evening visit to the Addo Elephant National Park waterhole
- Hike at the Storms River Village
- Trip to the Congo Caves
- Wine tasting and cellar tour Stellenbosch
- Cape Point tour
- Guided tour as detailed
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Services of a professional guide
- Entry fees to National Parks
- 15kg luggage allowance in a backpack/soft barrel bag (no suitcases) - this does not include photography equipment or a small daysack
- Visas – required for entry into South Africa. Visa requirements vary depending on nationality and we recommend contacting the relevant embassies for details
- Local payments
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
Please call our friendly advisors on 0333 800 2033 for pricing on this holiday.
- due to flight departure times, you may need to fly out a day before the start of your South Africa Safari and/or spend an additional night in Africa at the end of your holiday
- all guides are trained in first aid but certain medication and vaccinations will be required before and during the trip