Sweden: Stockholm to Gothenburg Cruise
Sail from Stockholm to Gothenburg on this fascinating cruise
What Makes Me Mighty Fine
- A memorable, five night, Gota Canal cruise from Stockholm to Gothenburg
- Experience the Golden Age of cruising on-board some of the world’s oldest passenger ships, operating in the time of Henrik Isben and Hans Christian Anderson and changing little since they walked the decks
- Sail on Europe’s third largest lake, Vanern and Sweden’s second largest, Vattern
- Explore the Canal Museum and uncover the fascinating history of Trollhatten
- Traverse the Carl-Johan staircase, the longest on the canal, made up of seven interconnected locks
The Göta Canal connects several rivers and lakes to create an idyllic route between two of Sweden’s greatest cities: Stockholm and Gothenburg. The canal is one of the most incredible in the world due to its remarkable locks, miles of stunning panoramas and beautiful lakes, the perfect route for soaking up the charming culture and breathtaking scenery of this fascinating Nordic country. Experience diverse, pretty destinations scattered along the banks of the canal and visit awe-inspiring sights and attractions on guided tours. This outstanding Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise guides you through many of Sweden’s most celebrated highlights, giving you ample opportunity to explore each destination independently.
As you sail along idyllic waterways, you pass by medieval churches, lush forests and ancient ruins, enjoying guided tours of many of these historic locations. There'll be plenty of time to take a walk along the canal bank or hire one of the boat’s bicycles and ride some of the way. A Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise takes you back to the Golden Age of cruising on-board some of the world's oldest passenger ships. Enjoy silver service meals in a dining room decorated with mahogany and brass for that added taste of luxury.
Fancy a longer cruise? Take a look at our Gota Canal Cruise.
Still in need of guidance? Check out our Swedish holiday deas or call our helpful travel team on 0333 800 2033 to find your perfect tour.
Day 1 - Stay overnight in Stockholm
Start your Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise after an overnight stay in the Rica Gamla Stan Hotel in Sweden’s capital.
Day 2 - Stockholm to Ljungsbro
Departing the idyllic spa town of Soderkoping, founded in the early 1200s, this Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise begins by crossing several locks: eight before Lake Asplangen and then the Norsholm lock where the canal crosses the main railway line.
One of the highlights of this first day of your Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise is the Carl-Johan lock staircase - the longest on the canal made up of a string of seven connected locks. A further four locks take you up to Berg where you can take a walk along the canal or opt for an evening swim in Lake Roxen. Last sight of the day is the Ljungsbro aqueduct before we make our overnight stop.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 3 - Depart Ljungsbro
Today on your Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise you will pass the acqueduct at Kings Norrby. Later, the hand-operated lock at Borensberg comes just before the famous Gota Hotel. Mid-morning sees you passing through the five lock staircase at Borenshult before reaching Motala, known as the capital of the Gota Canal.
The afternoon of your Stockholm to Gothenberg cruise sees you sailing on Lake Vattern - the second largest lake in Sweden - and taking in skyline views of the Karlsborg Fortress. Other highlights of today include the lock at Forsvik which dates back to 1813 and is the oldest on the canal, the water lily-filled lakes by Lake Viken and the Obelisk marking the highest point of the Gota Canal at 91.5 metres.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 4 - Depart Motala
As you continue your journey on this Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise, you will discover Sjotorp with its eight locks and age old ship building heritage. A sail on the glistening waters of Lake Vänern comes next before arrival at Lacko Castle. Built in 1298 as a bishop's residence and transformed into a baroque castle in 1652, Lacko is well worth a visit and you will tour its buildings and exhibitions before moving on to Vanersborg for an overnight stop.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Day 5 - Arrive in Gothenburg
Learn about the intriguing history of Trollhättan at the Canal Museum’s exhibition or amble down the embankment of the canal as the boat descends 32 metres down the lock staircase. At Lilla Edet you go through the last lock on the Göta Canal before your Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise comes to a close.Meals included:Breakfast, Lunch
Day 6 - Stay in Gothenburg
On the final day of your Stockholm to Gothenburg cruise, depending on the time of your departure, you may have the opportunity to explore this wonderful city before your flight home.Meals included:Breakfast
- Return international flights from London Heathrow (details of regional departures on request)
- Three nights' voyage with accommodation in a C grade cabin on the main deck (upgrade details on request)
- Two nights' accommodation at standard hotels in Stockholm and Gothenburg
- Tour as per the itinerary
- Meals as per the itinerary
- Travel Insurance (this can, however, be arranged for you. Simply speak to our travel team for a competitive quote for comprehensive cover)
- Prices are per person, based on two adults sharing
- 2017 Guaranteed Departures. 29/05, 04/06, 17/06, 25/06, 04/07, 13/07, 21/07, 30/07, 07/08, 16/08, 24/08
- Prices are per person
- 2017 Guaranteed Departures. 29/05, 04/06, 17/06, 25/06, 04/07, 13/07, 21/07, 30/07, 07/08, 16/08, 24/08.
Please note: the itinerary is subject to change.